September 15, 2022
We’ve all had a time when we knew we didn’t drink enough water throughout the day and felt thirsty, tired, and even lightheaded. This is because water is so important to all of the systems in our bodies. Staying hydrated during exercise helps replenish the water that we lose through sweat and helps our muscles keep from cramping.
Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help to keep your body feeling 100%!
A few reasons our body needs water:
- Helps us to sweat and regulates body temperature
- Lubricates the joints
- Delivers oxygen throughout the body
- Helps with skin health
- Cushions the brain, spinal cord, and other sensitive tissues
- Forms saliva and mucus
- The digestive system depends on it.
- Flushes body waste
- Helps maintain blood pressure
- Makes minerals and nutrients accessible
- Prevents kidney damage
- The airways need it
- Boosts performance during exercise
- Weight loss
- It reduces the chance of a hangover
How much water should I drink?
Chief Editor: Dr. Moreau | DC, DACBSP, FACSM | CEO & Chief Medical Officer
Contributor: Dr. Laura Allen | UWS 22